Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Word of the Day

Bagmata - The red marks you get on the palms of your hands from carrying heavy plastic bags.

I planted red magic daylilies yesterday. I had purchased them online and they arrived in a neat little box at the post office. From the looks of them, it'll take a while for the plants to produce anything remotely floral but the picture of truly red daylilies looked promising in the catalog and there was a hefty discount. I paid for the shipping. The daylilies were free. I couldn't resist.

While I was outside and it wasn't raining, I also finished removing all the weeds from my vegetable gardens in preparation for planting. It's still too soon for planting but the weeds had to go. I still need to drag and dump the potting mixture I have in bags into each of the beds but that can wait for another day. I would have done it today but...it's raining....again. Oh well, it wouldn't be so green here if it weren't for the rain.

My goldfinch are back and taking advantage of the one feeder that I put out. I still have to put out the other feeder but one will do for now. I noticed a hummingbird peering into my window. I imagine he was prodding me to put out my hummingbird feeders. I will....eventually. I'll put out the oriole feeder too...eventually. Soon. Maybe tomorrow. I refuse to dodge raindrops and huddle in a winter coat while hanging birdfeeders.

Other wildlife I have seen...

Six deer, one pileated woodpecker (not ivory bill because they don't live here), two rose-breasted grosbeaks, a bluejay, some chipmunks, some grey squirrels, some robins, assorted fishermen, and a dead porcupine (roadkill).

Murphyism of the Day

Maier's Law

If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.

No comments: